Arguably the single best language for Scientific Computing, Python has grown a lot over the past years let us see why it is so popular :
The language has an essence of its own! The simplistic and easy to learn nature of python is definitely a huge bonus to anyone who is thinking of starting programming. The language has a certain charm that no other language possesses! Here are some of its handy features:
- Developer Friendliness, Python is meant to be developer friendly and easy to learn language, the best part of this approach is that Python is easily readable even to a person who is new to the language. Python has a really consistent and a good Syntax.
- Python is a language that can fetch you a high salary, If you are planning to build a career in Computer programming i would suggest that you start with Python! The average salary of a Python developer in India is around 500,000 rupees! This rate goes even higher once you get jobs in places such as the United States.
- Efficiency and Developer ease, Languages like C, C++ and especially Java are very tedious to write, now don’t get me wrong! People prefer writing code in Java, C, C++ etc. but the point I am trying to make is that Python can complete the same task in fewer lines of code than java or any other language in the industry.
- Excellent Community and adequate documentation, One place where Python stomps the other languages is its developer community. Sure, languages such as Java have developed a vast community, but python has managed to do that in a lesser amount of time than the others! The best part of Python is the availability of modules which are similar to packages in JAVA, the number of lines required to code dramatically decreases with the addition of modules.
- Open Source, All Python libraries and the software itself is available for free and is completely Open Source.
- Object Oriented, Although even languages such as Java and C++ are Object oriented they are very strict in that aspect. Python loosens the boundaries of the OOPS concept while still maintaining usability.
Such as many things in life, nothing is purely good! There are some cons to the Python programming language:
- The Python language is interpreted, that means, the code is read line by line at runtime which makes this language really slow and inefficient while performing mission critical tasks which require blazing fast execution! Typically Python is 6-7 times slower than languages such as C and Assembly. Python definitely falls short in the speed department
- Lack of Platform Independence, Another problem with python is that it is not platform independent like Java. Java is one such language that can run basically on any platform, however this is not the case with Python.
- Limited Database tools, if you are trying to work with databases python has certain limitations which make it non-ideal for such tasks.
- Mobile Development is not a part of Python, if you are the sort of person who likes to code for the mobile platform, Python will disappoint you. If you want to go for mobile development i would suggest you choose Java + XML, C# + XML, Kotlin, Swift, C etc. and not Python.
- Memory Consumption, Python is not the ideal language to choose for memory intensive tasks.
- Prone to Runtime Errors, Since Python is not a compiled language, the developer doesn’t know if the code works or no until he executes it.
The advantages of the language definitely outnumber the drawbacks, so the tradeoff is definitely worth it!
To sum it all up, I would like to say that Python is the best language for beginners. Many tasks such as Deep Learning, Machine learning can be coded using Python with ease! Python has gained all the fame due to its easy-to-use nature!
Learning python is definitely a good thing! In fact, I would say that start learning it right now, there are some excellent free tutorials to follow. You never know you can create the next big thing in Computer Science!
Wishing you all the very best! Good luck 🙂